Optus Stadium, Australia
An award-winning project delivered on-time and on-budget
A multi-purpose stadium with 60,000 permanent seats currently used for a wide range of sporting and entertainment events. Set in 2.6 acres of rehabilitated parkland which incorporates playgrounds, picnic and barbeque areas and a 1,000 seat amphitheatre and 12sqm electronic screen.
A ‘Fan-first’ ethos was at the heart of the design and the stadium has won numerous architecture, design, sporting, tourism and public awards.
Key project facts:
- Client: Western Australian Government
- John Laing equity: 50%
- Partners in the Westadium consortium: Brookfield Financial, Brookfield Johnson Controls (now Brookfield Integrated Solutions), Multiplex
- Timeline: financial close 2014; stadium opened January 2018; divested (to AMP Capital) in 2019
- Contract term: 28.5 years including build and operations & maintenance
- Land rehabilitation: site previously a refuse tip
- Heritage: indigenous groups consulted and significant elements of cultural significance embedded in the architecture, building fabric and land-based art and gardens
- Focus on sustainable transport: limited parking spaces, purpose-built bus and train stations
- Access: focus on special access including wheel-chair seating, car park spaces and other facilities
- Community: sports oval available to the public on non-event days; Stadium Park open to residents and tourists all year round