Job Title: Investment Analyst
Reporting to: Senior Investment Manager / Investment Director
Location: London, UK
Department: European Investment (Core-plus)
Business Division: Group
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is a leading international investor across a range of infrastructure sectors. We are a responsible investor, committed to delivering critical and enduring infrastructure which responds to public needs and improves the lives of the communities we serve.
Today the Group has investments and operations in seven countries, and employs over 150 people at offices in London, Amsterdam, Melbourne, Sydney, New York, Los Angeles and Bogota. We invest in greenfield projects and in businesses which develop and own infrastructure assets. We are FTSE 250 listed with a Net Asset Value of £1.5 billion as at 31 December 2020 and a market capitalisation of £1.6 billion.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted names in greenfield infrastructure. During our long history, we have invested in over 150 projects, and as a result have developed strong credentials and a network of valuable relationships with both construction partners and clients. At its core, John Laing creates value through sourcing primary investments, active asset management and realising secondary assets for value. Our greenfield heritage, active asset management expertise, international footprint and partner relationships are key differentiators.
The Group’s history has been one of constant evolution and growth, and this remains the case today. The fundamental drivers of infrastructure investment are stronger than ever – population growth, climate change, energy transition, urbanisation and the ever-increasing need for digital connectivity. Following the appointment of Ben Loomes as Chief Executive in May 2020, the Group launched a new strategy aimed at evolving John Laing into a broader infrastructure investment platform with complementary investment businesses; a strong PPP & Adjacent Greenfield Projects business, with a second engine for growth in mid-market Core-plus economic infrastructure.
Recent acquisitions include:
- A purpose-built and let retirement platform in the UK – Ahigh quality and geographically diverse pipeline of 650 units with John Laing’s share of investment of c. £50m. This creates an asset-backed and scalable platform offering long-term resilient inflation-linked cash flows with strong cash yield from the outset and significant value creation potential as the sector matures.
- A German fibre roll-out platform – The acquisition of 100% shareholdings in EFN eifel-net Internet-Provider GmbH and Jobst NET GmbH, two regional and complementary telecommunications business involved in the early stages of FTTP roll-out programmes located in southern and western Germany with c. €30m committed investment to date and a total equity investment in excess of €100m over the next three years.
- Pacifico 2 Road PPP in Colombia – The acquisition of 21.15% interest in the Pacifico 2 road PPP project in Colombia for a total consideration of COP151bn (or approximately £32m).
This is an exciting time to join a business that makes a real difference to society as it embarks on the next stage of its growth and evolution.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Role: Investment Analyst
Purpose of the role:
In this role, you would be part of the Investment Team in London ( 8 team members and growing), within the Group business division, working on opportunities across Adjacent Greenfield Projects and Core-plus economic infrastructure such as energy transition (e.g. e-mobility, storage, biofuels), digital infrastructure (e.g. fibre, data centre, towers, smart city) and specialised accommodation. We are sector agnostic.
At John Laing, we offer you the opportunity to acquire new skills, explore interesting areas and work on challenging projects that will equip you to become a well-rounded investment professional and make an impact on the world through investing in essential infrastructure responding to public needs, fostering sustainable growth and improving the lives of communities around the world. John Laing recognises both the business imperative and the moral obligation to carry out our activities in a socially responsible and environmentally sustainable manner, with due consideration given to human rights.
Our international presence means that you will work with a talented team of the best infrastructure professionals with unique insights, perspectives, and experience in their respective markets. Working with us you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference.
- The role involves supporting the Investment team in the origination, assessment, structuring and investment in businesses and delivery of projects.
- You will be responsible for taking ownership and accountability for building financial models, arranging and structuring debt, conducting due diligence, market and industry research, preparing materials to support our internal investment approval process and engaging professionally with our counterparties, such as industry partners and co-investors, financial and due diligence advisors, debt funders and client representatives.
- Your knowledge of the various stages in transaction execution, including origination, diligence, and execution of equity, debt, and M&A transactions will enable you to summarize and present the results in a succinct manner. You will use your expertise in financial modelling to evaluate performance under various operating scenarios and to analyse the impacts of different capital structures.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
- Educated to Bachelor’s degree level or equivalent qualification with an outstanding academic record
- 2-4 years of previous experience within infrastructure, TMT and/ or energy sectors in either Investment Banking, Project Finance, Principal Investing, Private Equity or Project Development
- Advanced financial modelling skills is a must, ideally with experience in project finance models
- Proficient in conducting research.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
- Understanding of financial markets and trends.
- Ability to plan and organise own work
- Meticulous eye for detail
- Timely and reliable reporting
- Team player
Beneficial Experience (not required):
- A second European Language would be beneficial
Perks & Benefits:
- Private medical care
- Private dental care
- Enhanced pension contributions
- Enhanced maternity pay
- Charity related projects
- Women’s Network Club
- Flexible working
- Wellbeing allowance
- Holiday Purchase
- Group Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym Flex
- And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
We are able to provide Visa sponsorship for eligible candidates to be able to work in the UK under the Skilled Worker Route in line with UKVI guidelines. If you require sponsorship, please discuss this with us as part of the recruitment process.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy, please send your CV to a member of our Recruitment team at email@example.com